Before I turn 25 I’ve given myself 25 challenges.
One was to try something I’ve always wanted to try: caviar.
So off to Waitrose (of course) I popped, and got all the proper ingredients.
(Lumpfish caviar. I’d never heard of lumpfish before, but it was a damn sight cheaper than salmon caviar)
I didn’t like it.
What did I learn?
- Fewer things will make you feel more like a pretentious idiot than buying caviar in Waitrose darling.
- You shouldn’t let stainless steel touch caviar, i.e. use a wooden or ceramic spoon. (apparently it ruins the taste.)
- One should keep one’s caviar chilled. It should be served on ice during a dinner party situation.
- Caviar tastes like fishy fish. Salty and with a small explosion in the mouth. Also it’s quite unsettling when you find a little egg nestling amongst your teeth afterwards. Shudder.
- It allows you to take incredibly poncy photos like the one below.
(La dee dah! Love the blue colour of the eggs though, amazing!)
Did I enjoy eating caviar?
Would I try it again?
My other food challenges before I turn 25 are lobster and plantain. I have the feeling I might enjoy those more.